If you are a professional advisor, it is likely that many of your clients are already making annual gifts to support their favorite charitable organizations. Why not help them give smartly so that they provide for the people and causes they care about as part of their overall financial planning? Why not help them create a rich charitable legacy in their estate plan? The Richmond Community Foundation is a resource and a partner to help you serve your clients' charitable goals. RCF is a vehicle through which individuals, families, companies and charitable organizations can make gifts, current or planned, to benefit the community.
We are dedicated to providing the highest level of service to advisors.
To help with issues related to charitable giving, RCF can:
- Consult with you, your clients, and your colleagues on ways RCF can help meet people's financial and charitable goals, both during their lifetimes and as part of their estate planning.
- Suggest strategies for discussing charitable giving with your clients.
- Provide documents on giving through RCF.
- Provide expertise on community issues and the organizations addressing them.
Why Invest in a Community Foundation?
The Council on Foundations, a professional association of the nation's foundations, has outlined these six characteristics that define a community foundation:
- A flexible, yet permanent collection of funds supported by a wide range of donors.
- The relative independence to determine the best use of those funds to meet the community needs.
- A governing board of volunteers, knowledgeable of their community and recognized for their personal involvement in civic affairs.
- A commitment to provide leadership on pervasive community problems.
- A commitment to assist donors to identify and attain their philanthropic goals.
- Adherence to a sense of "community" that overrides individual interests and objectives.
The Richmond Community Foundation helps your clients create charitable funds to which they may contribute a variety of assets. Donors receive a charitable deduction in the year that gifts are made. Funds can be expendable (i.e., non-endowed where the corpus of the fund can be spent in its entirety) or endowed, which limit distributions to preserve and grow the corpus. Because of this, endowments last into perpetuity. The assets of the community foundation are pooled and invested, with donors offered a choice of investment pools.
Donors to the Richmond Community Foundation benefit from the Foundation's unique expertise in the programs and organizations serving their community. The Foundation issues grants to support activities which will have the most positive effect on the lives of the residents of that community while also serving the interests of each donor. Finally, the Richmond Community Foundation brings community leaders and others together to address social challenges across the region.
The Richmond Community Foundation:
- Has deep knowledge of its communities—what the needs are and how to address them.
- Shares your clients' interests.
- Cares about the future.
- Offers giving vehicles that are easy to set up and manage, and that provide tax benefits.